How to Repair Car Dents and Scratches
Is your vehicle scratched or dented? Whether you’re trying to trade it in or you’re just looking to beautify it, we here at Crown Buick GMC can help you repair your car dents and scratches to provide a surface that, even if not “like-new”, is at least fairly close. Want professional-quality scratch and dent repair in Metairie? Schedule service with our service center today! Meanwhile, here’s how to fix dents or scratches on a car yourself!
How to Fix Scratches on a Car
Looking for foolproof do-it-yourself scratch removal tips? While some of the following are by no means long-term solutions, others will do the trick, if done with care. Learn more below:
- Candle Wax – If you want to fill a scratch quickly, you can rub candle wax inside of it to fill it. Note: if you rub candle wax all over a large area of your vehicle, it very likely will result in a large “dull” spot due to the opaque nature of wax vs. the shiny nature of modern car paint. What’s more, this fix is temporary at best.
- Super Glue – Super glue can be used in a pinch to fill car scratches, and while it’s more permanent than candle wax, it’s hardly permanent.
- Paint Polish or Rubbing Compound – Polishing out a scratch is the best way to make it less noticeable. When you polish paint, you’re actually abrading the paint surrounding the scratch, making it all more or less even. Accordingly, it’s best to use a paint depth gauge before polishing if you can. Start with the least aggressive method first, and then move up from there, following with finer and finer polishes and finally a wax. Touching up scratches may only require one round of polishing. However, if you’re polishing the entire vehicle, you may need to do 2 or 3 rounds to get the right showroom look.
- Wet Sandpaper – Shallow scratches just on the surface that are too deep for polishing can be removed by wet sanding. But this method isn’t for the faint of heart, or the aggressive. If you remove too much paint via wet sanding, you can expose the metal, which can lead to rust. This really is a method better left to the professionals unless you have some auto knowledge or do your homework well first.
- Touch-Up Paint: Touch up paint is a great way to fix vehicle scratches and blemishes. Rather than trying to mess with other paint, you simply apply a new coat of paint to cover the scratch and prevent rust from forming.
How to Fix Dents on a Car
Before you bring your car to us for dent repair near New Orleans, you can try one of the following DIY dent removal options:
- Plunger – A couple rounds of plunging using a dedicated plunger can usually take care of larger dents.
- Hammer or Mallet – Use a hammer for smaller dent repair jobs and the mallet for larger ones. To use this method, you’ll want to to protect the side you are hammering with a towel or something equivalent to avoid more damage. You’ll also note that you’ll be hammering from the inside of the vehicle out, so this method often requires removing the wheel well trim or other vehicle components. Accordingly, it’s often a job customers leave to the pros.
- Dent Puller – This method is the most-effective but also the most-difficult. It requires drilling a hole in the dent, lacing a wire through and pulling the dent back to surface level. You’ll then need to fill the hole with Bondo or something similar, sand it down, and re-paint the entire vehicle panel.
Rely on Crown Buick GMC for Dent & Scratch Removal!
Our automotive service & repair shop in Metairie is the best place to go when faced with tough or pesky car dents and scratches. So before you do more googling about “how to fix scratches on a car,” or “how to fix a dent in a car,” we invite you to give us a call at 504-455-6666 and check out our money-saving service specials while you’re at it.
More from Crown Buick GMC
The 2023 Buick Enclave interior is a favorite among New Orleans drivers, who find it comfortable and accommodating. With approximately 97.4 cubic feet of space for your luggage and also a wide range of premium tools, the Buick Enclave interior is a classic example of what you would expect from a luxury three-row SUV. Motorists will…
If you’re considering a larger SUV with above-average towing capability for tackling a varying scope of tasks regardless of whether personal or professional, you might be curious about the towing capacity for a Yukon. The 2023 GMC Yukon towing capacity, when combined with the ProGrade Trailering System, pulls a hefty 8,400 pounds. This opens up…
The GMC Acadia maintains a rugged look, but inside is all family-friendly. The mid-size SUV has sweet details from the base to the highest trim level, the Acadia Denali. The 2023 GMC Acadia is a reliable choice, with three rows of seating to fit your entire family on New Orleans rides. Pleasant styling isn’t all…